At 5:10 a.m., it’s 48 degrees out. From my Stone Wall, I heard a HOUSE WREN, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, CHICKADEE, VEERY, and NUTHATCH. And down the road from my side boundary pin, I heard a TUFTED TITMOUSE, WOODPECKER, and BLUE JAY. Starting up into the field, I heard a ROBIN, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, RED-EYED VIREO, OVENBIRD, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, and WOOD THRUSH. Mist rising from Bob’s Pond this morning — no ducks. From my Thinking Bench I heard a HERMIT THRUSH and GOLDFINCH. On the way up to my Sitting Root, I heard a BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER, BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, and JUNCO. From my Sitting Root at 5:45 a.m., I heard a PEWEE, RED-EYED VIREO, and BLUE-HEADED VIREO. It’s cool but damp in the woods this morning. I might be hearing a PILEATED WOODPECKER  pounding on a big tree uphill from where I’m sitting — or it could, of course, be a smaller woodpecker making a big noise on a hollow branch…. Moving on, I heard a REDSTART and LEAST FLYCATCHER. Got to  my Leaning Rock at 6:00 a.m. It feels cool and good against my back. Heard another Goldfinch — what’s it doing way up here in the woods? Moving on, I’m hearing a SCARLET TANAGER from where I’ve just been and a ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK from where I’m headed. At the Stone Crossing at 6:20 a.m., I heard another Black-throated Green Warbler, Red-eyed Vireo, Ovenbird, Wood Thrush,  Blue-headed Vireo, and Chickadee, and added a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, BROWN CREEPER, WINTER WREN, AND BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER. This Stone Crossing area is becoming one of my favorite places in these woods. It’s a lovely place to sit and listen — and to think calming thoughts. Moving on, I’m hearing another Least Flycatcher a ways down the Saxtons’ Boundary Trail, near where I can start to see the meadow through the trees. When I got close to the road, I heard GRACKLES moving around in the trees over my head. When I got back to the road, I heard a RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD and saw a TREE SWALLOW. I think I also saw a family of Blue Jays flying across the road. Some of them landed briefly, then flew up into the trees. There was a lot of noise and fussing and a few recognizable Blue Jay sounds.