4:20 p.m. Decided to take a quick walk before dinner. I thought it might be interesting to time a new loop along the Dogleg Boundary Trail to Blood’s Chute, across the brook there, up the back bank to my Retreat, and home from there. I figured it might take me half an hour. BUT when I got to Blood’s Chute, I ran into challenges…. The rocks were so slippery, I had to move across them very carefully. I crouched over and used both my hands and feet for support. Just as I was making an awkward move to get across the water rushing through the chute, my pocket notebook fell into the water, and I watched it tumble all the way down to the pool below, where it came to rest floating in the deepest part. I scrambled on across, maneuvered down the far bank to the pool, and tried to reach my floating notebook with a stick, but it was too far out. So I took off my shoes and socks, rolled up my pants, and waded in. Actually, the water and sandy bottom felt good, and I had to laugh at the whole situation as I rescued my totally soaked notebook. A quick check showed me that my ballpoint pen ink had survived the dunking, and I waded back to shore to put my shoes back on. I was just beginning to relax when the GOSHAWK started kekking at me from the bank behind me. I thought maybe I’d better take my shoes off again, wade across the pool, and hike back home by way of the steep bank up to the road, but by the time I had gotten myself across the brook, I had changed my mind. I wanted to see if I could be quiet and careful enough to sneak by the GOSHAWK to my Retreat and home by the route I had originally intended. Back across I went, hid behind a big tree while I was putting my shoes back on, and then walked upstream along the brook until I thought it would be OK to try bushwhacking up the bank to my Retreat. NO GOSHAWK! I heard a LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH singing from the brook, so I dropped back down to my old stepping stones hoping I might catch a glimpse of it. No WATERTHRUSH, water too high and stepping stones too slippery to cross, so I took the White Trail and Bob’s bridge back home. Got there at 5:20 p.m.–an hour after I left for my quick before-dinner walk.